Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1994)

Subject: Charge for Spamming and it will go away
From: Michael Rutman <moose @ svcdudes . com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 14:33:34 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

First, let's admit it, as long as Spamming works, no amount of education is
going to stop it.  By working, I mean a very cheap way to make money.  You
can tell people to not give them money, but enough people will that spamming
will remain effective.  Even the Green Card lawyers got clients.

So, the solution is to make it more expensive.  Each mailing list that wants
to avoid spamming puts in their charter that solicitations of multiple people
will cost some specified amount of money sent to the list manager.  When
someone posts the first time, Majordomo will automatically send the poster a
note telling him about this policy, forwards the message to the list-owner,
and saves the posters address so this only happens the first time.

If the poster posts again, the list-owner can legally send him a bill, and
charge him for wire fraud if he fails to pay the bill.  Wire-fraud, being a
felony, is a rather unpleasent thing to be charged with.  Especially as it
can be shown that the poster did it right after being warned about the
charges.

BTW-I put in there that it's only solicitations of multiple people so people
can still say things like, "anyone want to buy/sell my rumple computer with
fratz monitor," but not "Here is my price list, notice how cheap it is
because I don't pay for my own advertisments."

This will require new versions of Majordomo and other list servers, but the
modifications are small, list managers might actually get some compensation
for their good work, and spamming will decrease as costs go up.

---
Michael Rutman			|	moose @
 svcdudes .
 com
Programmer			|	Macintosh and NeXT programmer
Software Ventures		|	maker of MicroPhone Pro
#include <std.disclaimer>	|	really offensive political statement

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: "Spam Protection" - Infrastructure vs policy