Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1994)

Subject: Re: Charge for Spamming and it will go away
From: Michael Rutman <moose @ svcdudes . com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 16:36:44 -0800
To: Chris Siebenmann <cks @ hawkwind . utcs . toronto . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>  There is a simple non-technical solution to this problem; it is
> successfully dealing with the same problem with fax machines and
> automated telephone calls. And that's to have laws passed making
> it illegal to do.

If there is a law, then you lose flexibility.  Right now, there is no
control.  By forcing people to read acceptable use and charging them for what
you don't want, you use existing laws to enforce your flexibility.

>  I'm not in favor of trying to charge people money to do it; all
> that's likely to happen is that they won't pay you. Then you get
> to chase them through the court system, a considerable amount of
> work for non-local people.

Then charge them large amounts and turn people who violate it over the the
D.A. or F.B.I. depending upon whether it's interstate or not.  Make it
$25,000 and call it Grand Theft.  Lot's of ways to stop spamming there.

---
Michael Rutman			|	moose @
 svcdudes .
 com
Programmer			|	Macintosh and NeXT programmer
Software Ventures		|	maker of MicroPhone Pro
#include <std.disclaimer>	|	really offensive political statement

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Please DO NOT respond to spam on the list-managers list