Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1994)

Subject: Re: Charge for Spamming and it will go away
From: Michael Rutman <moose @ svcdudes . com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 17:11:20 -0800
To: Malcolm Ray <malcolmr @ westminster . ac . uk>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> > Then charge them large amounts and turn people who violate it over the the
> > D.A. or F.B.I. depending upon whether it's interstate or not.  Make it
> > $25,000 and call it Grand Theft.  Lot's of ways to stop spamming there.
> >

> If the spamming were performed by a company based in, say, Singapore, would
> you regard this as interstate?  Would the FBI have jurisdiction?

Since I haven't seen any spamming from Singapore, I'm going to assume that
this is a hypothetical question.  Usually, I believe it's best to leave the
hypothetical in the hypothetical if it isn't relative to the problem.

In addition, I doubt there would be much spamming from Singapore since
international trade is difficult enough for there to be barriers to prevent a
profit at spamming.  Remember, spamming only works when it's easy to receive
the money from the people you spam.  Out of country people don't get this
benefit.

---
Michael Rutman			|	moose @
 svcdudes .
 com
Programmer			|	Macintosh and NeXT programmer
Software Ventures		|	maker of MicroPhone Pro
#include <std.disclaimer>	|	really offensive political statement

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Charge for Spamming and it will go away