Subject: Follow the bouncing message...
From: rowe @ lepomis . psych . upenn . edu (Mickey Rowe)
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 14:11:32 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I've occasionally had problems with subscribers on one of my lists
getting the permissions in their mail spool files zorched on their
machine, causing multiple bounces to go to the sender of any message
to the list or to them directly.  I'm enclosing a sample message since
I'm having the problem now.  To make sure that I'm clear: the symptom
is person A sends mail to person B.  Person B's machine sends an error
message back to person A.  Then it sends another.  And another.  And
another...  I once had this problem at the beginning of a long
weekend, and for 65 hours I received a copy of a bounced message
approximately once every half hour.  So far as I can tell, there is
nothing I can do to prevent it other than to notify someone at the
remote site begging them to fix it.  Am I wrong?  Is there anything we
can do to see to it that the brain-dead mailers responsible for this
sort of behavior get fixed?  Is the brain-dead mailer in this case
mine?  I've always found one notification of a bounce more than
sufficient...

Here's the promised message (with names unchanged since I'm not
concerned about protecting any of the parties involved):

Indexed By Date Previous: [no subject]