Subject: AOL's Reply function and list-of-list resources
From: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 22:21:45 -0500 (CDT)
To: PMDAtropos @ aol . com
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

David O'Donnell replied to my post,

| Actually, we don't look at the PAML at all (as I've said innumerable times
| here before). We work with NEW-LIST, list owner references and member
| references.

I thought that Gene Raymond's crew used the PAML as one of their resources in
finding list managers to ask individually for authorization and verification.
Of course, AOL does not carry the PAML itself, as both Mr. O'Donnell and Ms.
da Silva have stated.  I must apologize, because what I said can be misunder-
stood to imply otherwise.

| >( ...  because of
| >its lousy mailer that addresses replies to the From_ line over either
|
| Eh? When I replied to your post, it was addressed to dattier @
 wwa .
 com -- just
| as it was supposed to ...

It could be another of those differences among the various versions of the
AOL front end.  Do you remember the discussion of the Status display, Mr.
O'Donnell?  You insisted that no such thing existed until you found out that
it was part of the front-end software for a different machine from the one
you use.

I definitely have had problems with AOL subscribers over this; quite a few
would always send responses to the From_ address, whether the content should
be a public reply to the submission address or a private reply to the
author.