Subject: Re: AOL's Reply function and list-of-list resources
From: Gess Shankar <gess @ knex . mind . org>
Date: Wed, 10 May 95 07:34:45 EST
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

dattier @
 wwa .
 com (David W. Tamkin) writes:

> It could be another of those differences among the various versions of the
> AOL front end.  Do you remember the discussion of the Status display, Mr.
> O'Donnell?  You insisted that no such thing existed until you found out that
> it was part of the front-end software for a different machine from the one
> you use.
>
> I definitely have had problems with AOL subscribers over this; quite a few
> would always send responses to the From_ address, whether the content should
> be a public reply to the submission address or a private reply to the
> author.

I think AOL finally fixed this problem. I have a large number of AOL
subscribers in my lists. Invariably postings made as replies used to
come to the envelope From_ address. But this phenomenon has completely
disappeared, so I assume that AOL has learnt how to deal with the
headers.

Some compuserve and delphi users are still sending mail to the From_
address, so I assume some of the front ends they use must do weird stuff.
At least, AOL listmaster/s acknowledged my complaints once in a while.
I hear nothing from Compuserve or Delphi.

GeSS
--
Gess Shankar      |<><>|Internet: gess @
 knex .