Subject: Purpose of digests ?
From: Andrew Cormack <scoanc @ thor . cf . ac . uk>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 15:21:59 +0100 (BST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I'm a little confused about the purpose of a digest list. Perhaps someone
can shed a bit of light ?

It strikes me that a digest should be a periodic update to inform readers
of the traffic on a given list. Then, if a particular article looks
interesting, based on subject/author/whatever the user can retrieve the
relevant archive file to get the full text of the message. To achieve
this a digest should contain only a summary of each message, perhaps the
date, subject and sender fields.  A user susbscribed to a digest list
thus has a reduced amount of e-mail to read, but does not miss out on
anything, provided the other correspondents use subjects sensibly.

However this is *not* the type of digest implemented by Majordomo or, as
far as I am aware, Listserv. With these systems, each digest contains all
the texts of all the messages during the period, *plus* a list of
subjects. The reader of digest list thus gets an even larger hit on their
mailbox than the reader of the un-digestified list though at longer
intervals.

Are there any systems which provide the sort of digest I have described,
or is the MD/listserv type all-pervading ? Is this what users want ?

Andrew

       | Andrew Cormack               | email: cormack @
 cardiff .
 ac .
 uk     |
       | Information Systems Support, | snail: 40/41 Park Place, Cardiff |
       |    postmaster and webmaster  |                                  |
       | University of Wales, Cardiff |                                  |

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: sendmail delayed delivery notification too soon?