Subject: Re: Purpose of digests ?
From: Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <info-labview-request @ pica . army . mil>
Date: Mon, 15 May 95 12:18:07 EDT
To: Cormack @ cardiff . ac . uk, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Andrew Cormack:
>It strikes me that a digest should be a periodic update to inform readers
>of the traffic on a given list. Then, if a particular article looks
>interesting, based on subject/author/whatever the user can retrieve the
>relevant archive file to get the full text of the message. To achieve
>this a digest should contain only a summary of each message, perhaps the
>date, subject and sender fields.

Nope.

>each digest contains all
>the texts of all the messages during the period, *plus* a list of
>subjects.

Yep.

>Are there any systems which provide the sort of digest I have described,
>or is the MD/listserv type all-pervading ? Is this what users want ?

Nope. Nope.

A digest simply contains the text and header of more than one email msg,
wrapped into a single msg. It allows two things: a) reduction of the number
of SMTP connections your list server must make and b) reduction of the
number of individual mail msgs hitting recipients' mailboxes (but not the
size of their mailboxes, for reasons you've noted).

For further info, check RFC 1153: <http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1153.txt>

                  Tom Coradeschi, Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer
                      <info-labview-request @
 pica .
 army .
 mil>
          http://k-whiner.pica.army.mil/info-labview/info-labview.html

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Purpose of digests ?