Subject: Re: Purpose of digests ?
From: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 18:11:09 -0500 (CDT)
To: rogerk @ unpc . queernet . org (Roger B.A. Klorese)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Roger B. A. Klorese wrote,

| On the other hand, [digests] make it impossible to sort or filter by topic,
| poster or thread.

If the subscriber's site offers some text and mail utilities -- or a compiler
so that the user can provide for himself or herself -- then he or she can
burst digest issues into their component messages and sort or filter them.

On the other hand, if the subscriber's site lacks basic mail handling tools,
it probably is impossible to sort or filter individual messages from a list
by topic, poster, or thread there either.

All that said, I hate digests myself and prefer to have my own subscriptions
in reflector format.