Subject: Re: Purpose of digests ?
From: PMDAtropos @ aol . com
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 02:13:41 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

In a message dated 95-05-16 19:45:08 EDT, dattier @
 wwa .
 com writes:

(T> refers to statements made by David W. Tamkin on 15 May 1995)
T> Third, on some systems users are limited in the number of mail items they
T> may receive or store as well as (or instead of) by the byte count of their
T> mailboxes, and digests help them stay under quota;

>I believe that "third" applies to America OnLine [the "as well as"
>phrase but not the "instead of" alternative].

America Online members are limited to 550 pieces of mail contained on our
service at any given time; the maximum size of any single inbound piece(*) is
1Mb. We do not charge members for e-mail above and beyond the connect-time
charge and monthly fee. Additionally, Windows and Macintosh AOL software
users have the ability to regularly retrieve all mail stored on the AOL host
system to their local hard drive, where they are limited solely by available
space. Members can compose new mail while offline and schedule the e-mail for
later sending.

It should also be noted that America Online is not the only
Internet-connected system which limits the number of e-mail messages a user
can maintain on the host system. Just from my own experiences as a list
owner, VAXen and FreeNets seem to commonly impose limits (usually via a
general storage quota).

(* Note: due to present client limitations, large pieces of mail are broken
up internally. A 1Mb message would represent 34 "chunks" of mail at ~31k per
"chunk".)

--
__ David B. O'Donnell (atropos @
 aol .