Subject: Re: Purpose of digests ?
From: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 13:39:59 -0500 (CDT)
To: rogerk @ unpc . queernet . org (Roger B.A. Klorese)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

When I wrote,

T> If the subscriber's site offers some text and mail utilities -- or a
T> compiler so that the user can provide for himself or herself -- then he
T> or she can burst digest issues into their component messages and sort or
T> filter them.

Roger Klorese responded,

K> Does Eudora burst digests?  I dunno.  It can sort and filter.

Whoa there, Stoney.  Bringing up Eudora changes the subject completely.
Somebody running Eudora is working at his or her own computer, not on a user
account of a system controlled by someone else (like an employer, a school,
or a shell access provider).  There are two HUGE differences from the situa-
tion of receiving your mail on a site where someone else is the boss:

1. Nobody else enforces a mail storage quota on the Eudora user -- unless he
   or she lets mail accumulate at his or her provider for a long time without
   dialing in to download it.  Once it's downloaded to the Eudora user's com-
   puter, he or she can let it stick around until all of his or her disks are
   crammed with undeleted mail if that's what he or she wants.  A Eudora user
   who prefers separate envelopes to digest format is not under any con-
   straint to go against that preference and is free to subscribe to all
   lists in reflector mode, so there would be digests to burst only for lists
   that are available solely in digest form.

2. No sysadmin tells a Eudora user what utilities he or she is allowed to
   run on his or her own machine.  If Eudora doesn't have digest bursting
   built in, the Eudora user is free to burst digests with some other tool.