Subject: Re: AOL mail quotas
From: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 14:58:36 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

David O'Donnell wrote,

[I had said,]

| >[On AOL] two
| >1K letters use up more of your quota than one 2K letter does.
|
| The problem is, though: that's not true. I could have 550 pieces of 31k
| messages and it makes no more difference than if I have 550 pieces of 1k
| messages, or 550 pieces of mail with 1M file attachments. All we quota on is
| number of messages. Size is irrelevant.

Then, Mr. O'Donnell, it *is* true: two letters that each occupy one kilobyte
do use up more of an AOL customer's disk quota than does one letter that is
two kilobytes long.  If one is allowed 550 stored letters at a time without
size as a factor, two short reminders take up 1/275 of that allotment but one
tome uses only 1/550.

That's all the more reason that an AOL customer who subscribes to several
active lists would want to receive those lists in digest format.  This thread
started when someone opined that he or she saw no earthly value in the common
digest format and wanted to know why such a concept had ever been proposed,
much less how it could have caught on.