Subject: high performance/large volume mail service
From: Paul Graham <pjg @ acsu . buffalo . edu>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 19:10:47 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

we're interested in large volume smtp mailing lists.  i've browsed the list
archives and found some mention of others with similar desires but found no
answers.  is anyone moving something like (typical values) 500k smtp
messages to 13k hosts in 5k domains?  if you're familiar with
bitnet/listserv you may have heard of ubvm.  we're interested in plucking
those half million smtp messages off ubvm and letting it concentrate on
sending the other 8.5 million bits of mail it deals with daily.

assuming i can get the mail off the machine i sort of imagine that
something like an sgi challenge with an excess of memory and using xfs to
smear the disk files across a few drives might have the i/o resources to move
the files.  then i need some clever smtp daemons coupled with reasonable
queueing (perhaps zmail?).

of course i could be completely off the mark about this and it may be that
a sparc-20+sendmail can do the trick.

any ideas or experience would be most appreciated.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL mail quotas