Subject: Re: IETFHDR Digests & Eudora
From: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 95 00:03:18 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Dave wrote:

> I did an informal poll a while back as part of my E3 alpha-testing and
> found *very* few lists that support the MIME headers, though... seems like
> many list-managers have some catching up to do with their software(s).

I just installed SmartList 3.10 on my list and invited 100 of my
subscribers to help stress-test it and give comments on the
functionality.

SmartList 3.10 does MIME digests.

Result: practically unanimous howls of protest from readers with
MIME-aware mail readers.  "What IS this?"  "I hate this!" "Why won't
it just let me read it as a plain text file?"  "what's this attachment
sh*t?" "I couldn't read the file!" "If it stays this way, I won't
subscribe".

Even I hated it.  I use MH and set the NOMHNPROC to turn it off in MH.

I told them that it was their mail reader reacting to the MIME headers
and that there was probably a way to configure their mail reader not
to process the mail that way.  They didn't care, they had no idea what
I was talking about, no interest in learning.  They only knew that
they liked it the way it was before and now it was awful.

I went into smartlist and turned all the mime stuff off.  Result:
very happy readers.

MIME digests might be OK for specialized audiences, but not in
general.  Trust me.

--
Michelle Dick       artemis @
 best .