From: Soren Dayton <csdayton @ midway . uchicago . edu>
Date: Mon, 22 May 95 16:26:13 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com, SmartList @ informatik . rwth-aachen . de

hello

I am a member of a student group here that intends to get a mailing
list server up and running happily.  There are a couple of issues that
we are worried about:

1.  Good performance with really high loads.  We have no idea how much
this will actually be used, but we have every hope that it will be quite
a bit.  And we want something that will deal with this reasonably well.

2.  We want to have a reasonable level of user-friendliness for both
list-owners and users.  Many of the people involved will be users with,
frnakly, insufficient knowledge.  So we want something that is able to
handle high levels of cluelessness.

3.  Because we want this to be used, there is an issue of how best to
set things up so that people can get lists with relative ease (currently
student organizations can get lists if they promise that they will give
the first born son of the next 25 generations to the university for
medical research :)  This is more of a policy question than anything
else, but there are issues regarding thigns like how to setup up a
web-browser to wander the archives, and numerous other things that i
cannot think of right now.

First, I have _read_ the FAQ and found it very useful.  But I was told by
someone that there was a review of the major software that was
_extremely_ detailed that came out about two years ago.  It dealt
primarily with ListProc and Majordomo and possibly more.

If this is the FAQ in an old form, I am very sorry.
If it is not, and someone knows what I am referring to, please provide
me with a little information about the current state of this

If you have gotten this before, I am terribly sorry.    I have been
bombarded with the well-deserved read the faq responses.

thank you very much
Soren Dayton

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: IETFHDR Digests & Eudora
Next: Re: Request for some information regarding mailing list packages
Next: Re: Request for some information regarding mailing list packages
From: Dave Barr <barr @ math . psu . edu>