From: "Alan Millar" <amillar @ bolis . sf-bay . org>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 22:54:31 -800
To: "Elena Fraboschi" <elena @ journal . math . indiana . edu>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

> I run eight mailing lists, some of them with 1700 subscribers,
> some of them with 100 messages per day.  I was running them with
> antiquated C scripts that required me to do a lot of work (subscribe,
> unsubscribe, answer queries), but that never taxed my machine too
> much.  I have relatively little memory (16 MB).  I switched to

> majordomo is built on Perl, which is much more of a memory hog than a plain
> C script.  Or I do not know what the story is, but my machine very
> often runs out of memory, and the time I no longer need to administer

Did you do any investigation as to what was taking all the CPU time?
Specifically, was it Majordomo itself handling subscription
administrivia, or was it "resend" on the message redistribution?

If it was resend, you might find that using your old C programs for
the distribution, but Majordomo for the subscription handling could
give you the right combination.

Also, as Brent mentioned, -odq to queue the messages will do wonders
to improve delivery.

- Alan
----
Alan Millar        E-Mail: amillar @
 bolis .
 SF-Bay .
 org
System Administrator  Web: http://metro.turnpike.net/metro/amillar

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Clarification