Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

From: dkanagy @ netcom . com (Dan Kanagy)
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 1995 08:27:28 +0900
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Newsgroups: list.list-managers

I run a relatively high volume list, although compared to others it must
still be tiny.  In any case, the list has about 260 subscribers and
average daily traffic of 30 notes or more.  Turnaround, however, is
somewhat slow.  It can take two to four hours (sometimes 10 or more
hours) before postings appear in the list.  The list is located at
NETCOM and since NETCOM is a busy system I thought that this accounted
for the generally slow turnaround.

Recently, however, a subscriber to my list subscribed to another mailing
list at NETCOM and found turnaround to be much faster for the new list
(like 30 minutes or so).  He and I are wondering what might be causing
this difference.  The new list only sees 5 or so notes per week.  Is
this difference in traffic volume what is accounting for the difference
in turnaround time?  For what it is worth, NETCOM uses majordomo as its
list server.

I'm unsure about the various parameters that affect list turnaround and
hope to learn more.

Thanks.

Dan Kanagy         Work: wordwise @
 netcom .
 com        Play: dkanagy @
 twics .
 com
Tokyo, Japan                                              dkanagy @
 netcom .

Indexed By Date Previous: AOL Mailing List Database now available via FTP