Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ SEARN . SUNET . SE>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 22:32:09 +0200
To: Stan Hanks <stan @ tta . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sat, 3 Jun 1995 11:46:58 -0500 (CDT) Stan Hanks <stan @
 tta .
 com> said:

>That was  two years ago,  and I've had no  trouble since. BTW,  for what
>it's worth -- all  this is happening on a 486/33 running  BSDI. I have a
>theory that  with infinite CPU resources  you don't have to  worry about
>the sendmail/majordomo limitations, but who has that luxury?

That's actually not true at all. Mail delivery is not very CPU intensive,
and boosting the  CPU doesn't provide much of an  improvement. The delays
you  are observing  are due  to sendmail's  non-scalable algorithms.  The
limiting factor is  the speed at which answers can  be received from SMTP
servers all over the network, and  not system resources. In fact by using
the bulk mail  program you have increased the load  on your machine (more
sendmail processes per delivery), in order to achieve faster delivery.

  Eric

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Mailing list throughput