Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

Subject: <postmaster @ foo . com> resulting in error messages every half hour
From: <ead @ netcom . com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 10:49:56 -0600
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>
Cc: Alan Lam <postmaster @ mdbe . com>

Folks,

I'm experiencing a strange problem. When I send mail to <postmaster@
mdbe.com> (which I did because one of my subscribers left mdbe.com
without first unsubscribing and the bounce message from <mailer-daemon@
mdbe.com> didn't provide information from which I could determine who
the party was) with a "Return-Receipt-To: <ead @
 netcom .
 com>" header, I
get this error message sent to my mailbox every half an hour:

     Date: Tue, 6 Jun 95 08:04:28 -0700
     From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON @
 sf_unix .
 mdbe .
 com>
     Subject: Returned mail: Return receipt
     To: <ead @
 netcom .
 com>

     lmail: lock: cannot open root's mailbox:: Permission denied
     lmail: can't lock mail file for root: Permission denied
     lmail: unlock: fcntl failed... closing anyway: Bad file number

       ----- Message header follows -----
     .
     .
     .

The mdbe.com postmaster doesn't know how to effect a permanent solution
to this. A temporary solution is to simply restart his mail daemon. I'm
no sendmail(8) guru, and am hoping someone is enough of a guru to
recognize the above errors so I can tell him what he needs to do to keep
the problem from recurring.

Thank you,
Eric De Mund <ead @
 netcom .
 com>
List Owner: Bay Area Bookstore Events
http://www.culturewave.com/culturewave/ba-bookstore-events/
ftp://www.culturewave.com/pub/culturewave/ba-bookstore-events/

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Mailing list throughput