Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

Subject: Re: problem with unqualified hostnames on requests
From: berg @ pool . Informatik . RWTH-Aachen . DE (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 19:36:46 +0200
To: "SmartList Users" <smartlist @ informatik . rwth-aachen . de>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Alan Stebbens <aks @
 dokoka .
 ucsb .
 edu> wrote:
>Our mailer, on the assumption that "plain", unqualified names can only
>be local, qualifies the names with our default domain.  Thus, in the
>request header below, we see "ats @
 hubert .
 ucsb .
 edu", when, in fact, the
>original request had "ats @
 hubert", without any domain name.

IMO, if someone's mail setup is this seriously broken, he should fix it
at his end first.  The *least* he must do is add a suitable Reply-To: field.

--
Sincerely,                                  berg @
 pool .

A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.