Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

Subject: Looking for an ISP with a listserver other than majordomo
From: dkanagy @ netcom . com (Dan Kanagy)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 07:52:34 +0900
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Newsgroups: list.list-managers

Actually, I quite like majordomo and would be happy to continue using
it if it were more efficient in handling relatively large and busy
lists.  In the case of the list I run, however, timely answers are of
an extra value to subscribers, which means I need to find an
alternative to majordomo.

Based on the advice given here, I looked into running either
procmail/SmartList or MReply under my shell account at NETCOM as an
alternative.  This would have likely worked.  However, I also learned
that NETCOM runs an automated detached-process killer that will
occasionally kill mailing list messages being processed in the case
of MReply.  One MReply user complains that this happens to him several
times a month.  This won't do.

So I am wondering if you can recommend to me a U.S.-based ISP (the
largest number of my subscribers live in the U.S.) that offers a
shell account and will let me use procmail/SmartList or MReply to run
a mailing list there.  Actually, an ISP that offers listproc or
some other listserver that is more efficient than majordomo would also
do.  I would also want an ISP that lets me create an anonymous ftp
directory to make list archives available.  The list I am considering
relocating concerns Japanese/English translation, has about 250
subscribers, and generates about 30 notes a day.

Thanks.

Dan Kanagy         Work: wordwise @
 netcom .
 com        Play: dkanagy @
 twics .
 com
Tokyo, Japan                                              dkanagy @
 netcom .
 com

Indexed By Date Previous: problem with unqualified hostnames on requests