Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

Subject: Re: Marie Franco's diligence
From: Mathias . Koerber @ swi . com . sg (Mathias Koerber)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 21:03:42 +0800 (SST)
To: bfleming @ pinsight . com (Bob Fleming)
Cc: dattier @ wwa . com, bfleming @ pinsight . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Disclaimer: My company pays me to work, not speak for them. So there !

According to Bob Fleming
| From list-managers-owner @
 GreatCircle .
 COM  Wed Jun 21 20:12:11 1995
| Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 19:24:19 -0700
| From: Bob Fleming <bfleming @
 pinsight .
 com>
| To: dattier @
 wwa .
 com, bfleming @
 pinsight .
 com
| Subject: Re: Marie Franco's diligence
| Cc: list-managers @
 GreatCircle .
 COM
| Sender: list-managers-owner @
 GreatCircle .
 COM

| >Every day when Marie Franco receives the digest her autoresponse sends this
| >to the list, which in turn distributes it to everybody:

| > while
| > on
| >
| >Bob Fleming commented:
| >
| >| Thanks for keeping us all posted.  Will we be getting this message each
| > day
| >| until July 18th ...  ;-)
| >
| >Apparently we will, Bob, except for June 22.  No wonder she refers to her
| >mail manager in quotes; it isn't the real thing.
| >
| >I wonder how many days the digest has consisted only of Marie's autoresponse
| >to the previous day's digest (which in turn may have comprised nothing but
| >her autoresponse the the one before).  But darn it, that's an article for
| > the
| >list, so the next day there's another digest issue, and her acknowledgment
| >comes in again to trigger another the day after, even though no one else has
| >been submitting.  If her autoreplier were configured right, there would be
| > no
| >mail for it to react to.  The way this feeds on itself is truly funny.
| >
| >When digest subscribers to my lists misconfigure their autorepliers I tweak
| >the list routines to prevent their blurbs from going out.  If they're on the
| >reflector distribution and sending their autoresponses to the authors, I
| >switch them to digest so that they will stop annoying the other members and
| >make note that they are not allowed EVER to return to the reflector.
| >

| Yea!  NEVER!  Bannishment!  I like it!  Maybe we should talk behind her back
| while she's away... spread rumors about her...  Nah... better not:  I hear
| she's related to that Franco guy who ran Spain for a while.  Heck, we could all
| be shot at dawn.  Maybe auto responders are not that bad.  In fact, I like
| them... yes, I really do... honest, General.
|
| -Roberto

I thought it was accepted wisdom that mailing list servers (like LISTSERV
and majordomo)  make sure the Return-To, Return-Raceipt-To and Errors-To
headers are *not* set to the list, but to the original sender only to
prevent this thing from happening. It's funny to see this happening on
a mailing list for mailing-list admins :-(

Mathias

--
Mathias Koerber at SWi                                 Tel: +65 / 7780066 x 29
14 Science Park Drive                                       Fax: +65 / 7779401
#04-01 The Maxwell                           email: Mathias .
 Koerber @
 SWi .
 com .
 sg
Singapore Science Park
S'pore 0511         <A HREF=http://www.SWi.com.sg/~mathias/mathias.html>MK</A>
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft,  die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *