Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ SEARN . SUNET . SE>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 21:07:59 +0200
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, Benjamin Holz <t-benho @ microsoft . com>

On Mon, 26 Jun 95 11:08:32 TZ Benjamin Holz <t-benho @
 microsoft .
 com> said:

>1.  What percentage  of  mailing  lists out  there  are  managed by  mlm
>software as opposed to manual operation?

Nowadays  my guess  is that  very  few lists  over say  20-50 people  are
managed manually.  But since it's  nearly impossible to count  the manual
lists (most of them aren't advertised outside a small circle), statistics
can't be made.

>2. What  is the breakdown of  usage for mlm software?  ie. ListServ %60,
>Majordomo %30, etc.

LISTSERV is the only product  that currently gathers usage statistics, so
it's  probably  impossible to  make  that  kind of  comparison.  LISTSERV
currently  manages 18364  lists with  a total  membership of  2285422 and
delivers about 10M messages on an average business day.

>3.  Is there  any breakdown  of the  popularity of  mailing lists?  i.e.
>windsurf-l 894 members, msmail-l 300 members

This info  is available  for each  public LISTSERV  mailing list,  but of
course there are many of them. What are you looking for exactly?

  Eric

Indexed By Date Previous: Mailing list Manager statistics