Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ SEARN . SUNET . SE>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 16:03:03 +0200
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <info-labview-request @ pica . army . mil>

On   Tue,  27   Jun   95  9:00:32   EDT   Info-LabVIEW  List   Maintainer
<info-labview-request @
 pica .
 army .
 mil> said:

>Anyone interested  in doing a  straw poll on this?  Send me a  note (put
>SURVEY in the subject) telling me  how you admin your list including the
>MLM you use, if any, and what the number of subscribers is.

Excuse me for pointing out the obvious, but this is a list for people who
use mailing list managers. So, if you ask the people on this list whether
they maintain their list manually or not, chances are that you'll find an
overwhelming majority  of people who  don't. Furthermore, this is  by and
large  a Majordomo  list. You  won't find  many LISTSERV  or ListProc  or
SmartList people here. I know that this isn't what the list is *supposed*
to be, but this  is what the list *is*, due to its  location. To wit, the
ratio  of Majordomo  to  say  ListProc questions  posted  to the  list...
Actually I  think the ratio of  Majordomo to LISTSERV questions  is still
infinite ;-) If you're going to make a poll, you'll probably have to take
a large  list whose membership can  be reasonably considered to  span all
sorts of backgrounds and cultures (say a list like TOPTEN which all sorts
of people subscribe to), and ask them if they're subscribed to lists, and
how many, and how they're maintained.  TOPTEN isn't a good example though
because the list of subscribers isn't public, but you get the idea.

  Eric

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Mailing list Manager statistics