Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

From: bourbeau @ kenmoto1 . iii . net (Ken Bourbeau)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 00:48:53 -0400
To: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Brent said:

>>Excuse me for pointing out the obvious, but this is a list for people who
>>use mailing list managers.
>
>No, it isn't; it's for people who manage mailing lists, regardless of how
>they do it.  From the "info" file for List-Managers:

OK, Thanks Brent, I'm a new subscriber and I thought I was in the wrong
place. I did subscribe to another list for music list managers but
traffic was pretty slow there. I was hoping for more generalized
discussion on topics like handling flames, spams, and legal
problems like copyright violations and the liability, or lack thereof,
of the list manager re same. Another issue I'd like to see addressed
(intro didn't mention a faq) is growing the subscriber base on broad
based lists such as those I run.  Again I'm not sure I'm in the right
place. Are managers of broad based (sports, music, politics) lists
here? Or is this mainly devoted to those dealing with lists of a more
educational/scientific nature?

As a way of introduction and to add(?) to the thread, I manage 2 lists.
The larger one, in terms of subscribers, I have automated (majordomo)
and the smaller one is not (manual).  I think I made a mistake though.
The one with the smaller subscriber base is much busier, traffic wise,
because the artist is better known. It seems to me traffic has more
bearing on the decission to automate than the number of subscribers.
I wish I had automated the busier/smaller list.

Didn't mean to jump in the thread blind with foot in mouth, just making
sure I'm on the right list. ;-)

Best to ya from the sticks o New Hampshire,
Kenny
 nic .
 iii .
 net