Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

From: rtl @ icsom . org (Robert Levine)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 08:27:20 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Kjetil wrote:

>>I wonder first what others mean when they write that a list is
>>"run manually".  Is that a list where administrative requests
>>are handled manually, or one where message distribution requires
>>human intervention?
>>
>>Or are people using "run manually" as a synonym for "administered
>>manually?"

I run a small list manually on my Mac using Eudora, POP3 (on my ISP), and
QuicKeys, a macro program. The amount of traffic is far more of an issue
than the number of subscribers, although the two are of course related. I
could probably handle 20 messages a day or so without too much trouble.
Each message takes about 10-15 seconds for me to turn around (format, paste
text, and the like), and then a similar time to send.

Given that my last experience with Majordomo led to my filling my
subscribers' mailboxes with around 1000 bounce messages, due to a poorly
set up configuration file, I'm a little gun-shy about going back.

Robert Levine
rtl @
 icsom .
 org

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Ken Dykes's admissions test