Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

From: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 11:49:04 -0800
To: Chris Chiapusio <chipper @ chipsworld . bridge . net>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 10:46 AM 6/29/95, Chris Chiapusio wrote:
>i'm curious, what kind or hardware configuration miles.greatcircle.com
>is, andd if you have special configuration to handle such a large list.

It's a 66MHz 486 box running BSDI 1.1; I've got 32MB of RAM and about 2GB
of disk.  The only special thing about the configuration that facilitates
the management of such a large list is in how I have email set up.  I've
got Sendmail configured so that all of our outgoing mail goes out via UUNET
(our Internet service provider), rather than us attempting to deliver it
directly.  This means that, when a message is distributed to Firewalls,
instead of trying to send several thousand copies to one or two recipients
each, I send one copy to UUNET with several thousand recipients.  UUNET
then clones the message as necessary to distribute it to the thousands of
recipients.

-Brent

For info about the Internet Security Firewalls Tutorial and a schedule
of upcoming dates, please send email to Tutorial-Info @
 GreatCircle .
 COM
Brent Chapman                                 Great Circle Associates
Brent @
 GreatCircle .
 COM                         1057 West Dana Street
+1 415 962 0841                               Mountain View, CA  94041

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Re: Mailing list Manager statistics