Subject: Re: Architext
From: Graham Spencer <graham @ atext . com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 19:32:48 -0700
To: dattier @ wwa . com
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

dattier @
 wwa .
 com (David W. Tamkin) said:

  >  So, Mr. Spencer, maybe it was a bad decision to write from
  >  lists @
 cochese .
 atext .
 com (just as it was to misspell "Cochise"),
  >  but it didn't happen by accident. Your company continued to write
  >  from it and even typed it into the .signature; that sounds pretty
  >  much like a decision to me.

Please note that even though we sent the apologetic mail from the
wrong host, we did include a valid email address (list @
 atext .
 com,
*not* list @
 cochese .
 atext .
 com) in that apology. (In fact, we mentioned
list @
 atext .
 com three times, and never mentioned list @
 cochese .
 atext .
 com
in the body of the message.) Jeff simply didn't realize that sending
from cochese.atext.com was the source of the problem, so he repeated
the mistake in his second mailing.

It was definitely *not* a decision... To paraphrase Hanlon's razor:
"never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by a lack
of knowledge".

--Graham

PS: "cochese" is named after a fictional character; the spelling is
deliberate (unlike our mailing from list @
 cochese .
 atext .
 com).

Graham Spencer                   Phone: 415.934.3613
graham @
 atext .
 com                   Fax: 415.934.3610
Architext Software                Mail: 2700 Garcia, Mountain View 94043