Subject: re: Architext
From: Graham Spencer <graham @ atext . com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 1995 02:23:00 -0700
To: merchant @ anuxv . att . com, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: graham @ atext . com

merchant @
 anuxv .
 att .
 com (s.merchant) said:

  >  1. They had a single address for *everything* !!?!!

Yes, I agree that this looked unprofessional. We should have specified
a separate address for the human in charge of the project. However, as
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @
 ifi .
 uio .
 no> suggested in a later
message, we do have software set up to sort email by sender. List
content is diverted to individual archives, and non-list content is
inspected separately by a human. So your email was most likely
received as expected.

  >  2. I did not get a reply to my query (undoubtedly because of 1) that
  >     might have reassured me.

I believe our delay in responding was more due to the bulk of mail
from list administrators rather than from the lists themselves.

  >  4. The excessive marketing hype was clearly the work of people
  >  unfamiliar with the Internet, otherwise they would have known
  >  that this sort of copy is treated pretty contemptuously on the
  >  Internet (they know now).

This was another unfortunate aspect of our mailing; the letter was
obviously written with the wrong tone for this audience. FWIW -- and
this may not do much to re-establish credibility, but I'll mention it
anyway -- most of us at Architext have been on the net for five or six
years.

  >  So they need to establish credibility (which is a little like
  >  trying to re-establish virginity ...) and also anticipate and
  >  address the problems and questions that listowners might have
  >  with their proposal/request.

To that end, I'm happy to continue answering questions in this forum,
or via private email. I've also created a web page,

    http://www.atext.com/archiving-lists.html

which tries to answer some of the questions I've already received. I
can mail this page to anyone who doesn't have web access.

I'd like to do whatever I can to make sure that from now on we're
perceived as competent and responsible. (Which we really are.)

--Graham

Graham Spencer                   Phone: 415.934.3613
graham @
 atext .
 com                   Fax: 415.934.3610
Architext Software                Mail: 2700 Garcia, Mountain View 94043