Subject: Hot Dog wonders...
From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 23:09:20 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Dave Del Torto said...

|Actually, I'm more against the _idea_ of what you and other services like
|yours represent. I wrote in an earlier post about the similarity I see
|between what you're doing and what West Publications does by indexing the
|text of all legal procedings in the US and then claiming the right to sell
|it all back to the citizens. In other words, I have philosophical
|objections to your purpose. There are significant differences, since your
|materials are available on the net, but you and I both know that once
|mailing lists have sent their stuff, past posts are rarely archived unless
|the host/maintainer has lots of money for HD space, so someday, you will
|have people by the short and curlies if they want historical data.

[Just some thoughts from the flip side...]

This suggests that most people either can't afford the disk space,
or are too short-sighted to save the data, or too lazy/untechnical/etc
to set up archival/retrieval software.

In any case, if someone else goes to the trouble to do all this, and
charges a price people are willing to pay, it's a Good Thing, not a
Bad Thing.  Yeah, copyright issues have to be hashed out, but that's
beside the point.  If you can't afford a GB of disk (gee, it costs so
*much* nowadays... 8^), or won't shell out the bucks, then why should
someone else archive/index it for free for you?

I love the Interet.  I love free information.  I also recognize that
neither computers nor networks are free - they are paid for in money,
or in time & effort.

-Miles

Indexed By Date Previous: Looking for mailing list on CIX and related items