Subject: Re: Appending "Reply-To" in Outgoing Mails
From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 22:38:28 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Soren Dayton said...
|Muhammad Salman Mughal <salman @
 earth .
 sparco .
 com> said:
|>I was wondering if there is a way to append/assign "Reply-To:" tag
|>in the outgoing mail header?  There is something in the listname.config
|>file which states:
|	This strikes me as a bad thing to do.   Here are my reasons:
|		1.  It rewrites a header that the user put there that is
|		not dangerous.

Or as likely, the site's sendmail config file did.
And not all sites/mailers add this header.

|		2.  It makes it harder to make individual responses to
|		the author of the letter.

With all the lists I'm on, group responses are *much*
more common than individual responses.  You make the
common response the easier response.  In general, I
prefer the reply to go to the list, so I like the idea.
I'm on 7 or 8 lists, and all but a couple include a

|		3.  By my reading of RFC 822 it is not acceptable
|		behaviour.  This RFC seems to indicate that this is
|		defined by the originator, not by the mailing list
|		software

Too bad.  The RFC will just have to get its own list.  8^)

Seriously, this is a logical thing for some lists, and it's
up to the list admin and/or the list members to decide what
they want.  If the originator has a problem with this, they
can discuss it with the list administrator and/or the list.

-Miles
meo @
 schoneal .
 com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Appending "Reply-To" in Outgoing Mails