From: Joe George <jgeorge @ nbi . com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 14:54:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Speaking as the mailing list manager in question, I feel a STRONG need to
clear the air over the policies that we implement here at nbi.com, and I
feel the need also to question why Ms. Close seems to have such a MAJOR bug
up her ass over this whole ordeal.

> >This has to be one of the weirdest abuses of net resources I've seen by
> >a postmaster and system adiministrator.  Basically nbi.com uses Usenet
> >newsgroups to try to contact ONE person whenever that person's e-mail
> >bounces from nbi.com mailing lists:
>
> Hopefully, they will be ostracized by their peers.

NBI runs several mailing lists, and I, like any other MLM, deal with bounces
in any other manner.  About once a month, a user drops off one of our lists
and we are unable to contact them to let them know why they have been
unsubscribed.

If there is no other recourse to contact these people, yes, we post a short
message to a Usenet newsgroup with the same general emphasis as the mailing
list in question.

As far as being "ostracized by our peers", perhaps a little scope should be
placed on this policy before anyone decides to start mailbombing us.  The
ONE SINGLE post which seems to have crawled up Ms. Close's anatomy and died
was the FIRST AND ONLY such posting to her own pet newsgroup,
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing.

We send, on the average, one of these Usenet posts every FOUR TO SIX WEEKS.
I can count on my fingers the total number of these posts that have EVER
been made to Usenet.  The postings average 1KB or less.

If this means that I should be "ostracized by my peers" then so be it, but
please make sure that you're a peer when you attempt to ostracize me. I pay
the bills for nbi.com's hardware and net access. People who run mailing
lists from their JOBS (like, for example, sgi.com, and I doubt sincerely
that Ms. Close pays for sgi's net access) need not complain to me about it.

Any futher questions on this policy may be sent to me, jgeorge @
 nbi .
 com (or
root @
 nbi .
 com) and I will listen to your opinions.

Flames, which are ever prevalent in Usenet and on this own list, will be
politely ignored.

Joe George
Systems Administrator, nbi.com

--
Joe George (jgeorge @
 nbi .
                                                         |opinions. Nobody
(Please don't use 'jgeorge @
 twiglet .
 nbi .
 com' anymore.)    |else does either.

Indexed By Date Previous: GUI for list management