From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 1995 21:42:51 -0500 (CDT)
To: amys @ iquest . net (Amy Stinson)
Cc: jgeorge @ nbi . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Amy Stinson said...
|[actually, Joe George said this part]
|> I pay the bills for nbi.com's hardware and net access.

In the words of annoying caller from my switchboard days,

   "well, bully rah rah!!!"

|I find this comment rather interesting in that there seems to be an air of
|justification in the perceived level tolerance we should have for you to
|conduct business.  Is this your personal service that you've gotten that
|you're paying $1000 per month for?  I don't get it, lots of us pay for
|internet access and don't feel like we're any more entitled to use or abuse
|services.

In fact, I pay for Schober O'Neal's, and I pay dearly
at the moment for the ISDN.  I don't think that entitles me
to treat the net as my litterbox, but I do think it entitles
me to reasonable newsgroups more than it entitles someone
else to poop all over it.

I run a mailing list that was specifically created to offload
tangents from a newsgroup.  It's directly related to the
newsgroup, and neither I nor any of the members have *ever*
bothered the group with details such as Mr. George seems to
feel are his divine/constitutional/whatever rights to annoy
people with.

Not only that, but when I recently went brain-dead and posted
something I shouldn't have to a list, I posted a public apology
on the list rather than defend my right to be a jerk (which a
number of emailed responses assumed I was, so they replied in
"kind" - I still was polite and apologized again - I had peed
on their doorstep - something someone here seems to just not
get!)

-Miles