From: Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <info-labview-request @ pica . army . mil>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 10:36:27 EDT
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Mathias Koerber wrote:
>According to CPT Larry J. Schauer
>[ the usual problem on what to do with bounces ... lots of discussion ]
>WOuld it help if a mailing list kept a *second* email address per user,
>where bounce messages could be sent?

Sure. If you have the time. I used to keep phone numbers along with the
user's name and address if the number was in their subscription request. Of
course, that was back when this list had 300 subscribers and 5 msgs/day.

Now I've got 330 subscribers to individual msg format and 1452 to digest
with traffic of ~25 msgs/day (and this is by no means what I'd consider a
"big" list). I don't have the time to look for phone numbers and the like
any more.

My attitude (hardened netizen that I am) is that if you want to be
subscribed to the lists I run, you'll get yourself subscribed. I let mail
bounce for a while before I remove users, but then it's unilateral and
anonymous. The address gets piped off to a bad-address file, with the date
of removal stamped to it and that's that.

When/if the user asks to be re-subbed, I send them a note telling them why
they were removed and asking them to verify receipt of my mail to them
before I put them back on (I've seen a number of situations where users can
send mail but not receive it).

The idea of writing to newsgroups to notify users that they can't be mailed
to sounds like a) a waste of net.resources and b) pissing in the wind. (if
their mail don't work, their news probably don't work either, since they no
longer have an account to read either from)

My $0.02.

                  Tom Coradeschi, Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer
                      <info-labview-request @
 pica .
 army .
 mil>
          http://k-whiner.pica.army.mil/info-labview/info-labview.html

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Waste of Usenet