From: Christopher Davis <ckd @ loiosh . kei . com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 13:51:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: Joe George <jgeorge @ nbi . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

JG> == Joe George <jgeorge @
 nbi .
 com>

 JG> I fail to see how ONE Usenet posting can be such a major waste of
 JG> Usenet resources.

The same way ONE "un*ub*cribe" message to a mailing list can be such a
major waste of list resources.  "Monkey see, monkey do."

It's not the first one that is the problem.  It's not the second one.
It's the third, fourth, tenth, twentieth...but the first one "legitimizes"
the act, or prompts others to emulate it, and that's why some list owners
[ob-list-managers] are so quick to react by telling *the whole list* "no,
that won't work, you have to mail list-REQUEST @
 list .
 host".

Some even take it so far as to refuse to unsubscribe people who mail to
the list *until* they mail to list-request.  (I happen to share this view;
don't reward bad behavior.)

You mention the infamous Make Money Fast.  It seems that now that
discouragement via cancellation has become so much more swift and sure,
that the "chain" of credulous and innumerate morons has been somewhat
broken, or at least the propagation has slowed down.  MMF is also a
"monkey see, monkey do" situation in many cases.

Yes, I think it is inappropriate to use USENET groups to contact a lost
mailing list subscriber.  As others have said, if they really care about
the list they'll find you again; they found you the first time, after all.
And if they don't, then they shouldn't be on the list anyway.

Going out of your way to coddle dysfunctional software, or dysfunctional
users, is, well, dysfunctional.
--
Christopher Davis * <ckd @
 kei .