Subject: Re: Are we missing the point?
From: rogerk @ queernet . org (Roger B.A. Klorese)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 95 05:39 PDT
To: Todd Day <today @ di . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>I think most of the arguments for/against Reply-To munging are
>missing the point of running a mailing list: to promote vigorous
>discussion of a particular topic among a large amount of people.
>If you find that your topic is very technical, it might be best
>for your list to default public replies using Reply-To.

On what planet is that "THE point of running a mailing list"?  Where I
come from, it is generally the disseminiation of information, or discussion
of a topic.  How vigorous that discussion is, or how many people participate,
is not a factor.  High traffic is never a goal!  You seem to be losing sight
of the value of chewing up as *little* bandwidth as possible.

In general, *especially* on technical lists, it is often reasonable that
discussion, solutions, etc. are sent to the originator, who summarizes
for the whole membership.
---
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                          rogerk @
 QueerNet .
 ORG
2215-R Market Street #576         San Francisco, CA 94114       +1 415 ALL-ARFF
"There is only one real blasphemy -- the refusal of joy!"       -- Paul Rudnick

Indexed By Date Previous: Problems with AOL receiving list mail?