Subject: Re: Preventing Mail Loops, Other
From: "S Clift (North Star)" <nstar @ nic . state . mn . us>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 18:19:18 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Since I did not receive any responses I assume that this been posted to
the wrong list?  If anyone has any suggestions, the help would be
appreciated.  Thank you.

Steven Clift
nstar @
 nic .
 state .
 mn .
 us

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995, S Clift (North Star) wrote:

> In a few weeks the person who set-up majordomo and has served as list
> administrator will be leaving (he was on a summer contract).  I assume
> his responsibilities will be shifted, but I need to make some changes
> ASAP to prevent a mail loop from developing on the two unmoderated lists
> that I own.  How do I (or does list adminstrator have to) change the
> Reply-To section from the the list to the original sender.  We had
> someone go on vaction, activate their auto-reply and boom - major
> embarrassment.
>
> Also, I get this "bounce" message periodically.  What is messed up?
>
> Thanks,
> Steven Clift
> State of Minnesota
> nstar @
 nic .
 state .
 mn .
 us

 nic>
> To: owner-gov-net @
 nic
> Subject: Returned mail: aliasing/forwarding loop broken
>
> The original message was received at Thu, 17 Aug 1995 00:00:04 -0500
> from majordom @
 localhost

>    ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
> bounces-outgoing  (unrecoverable error)

> Message delivered to mailing list bounces-outgoing
> 554 bounces-outgoing... aliasing/forwarding loop broken

 nic .
 state .
 mn .
 us
> From: nobody @
 nic .
 state .
 mn .
 us
> Subject: Bouncing email from mailing lists at nic.state.mn.us
> Sender: owner-gov-net @
 nic .
 state .
 mn .
 us

> Your address has been moved to Bounces @
 nic .
 state .
 mn .
 us
> from some other mailing list at nic.state.mn.us
> because email to you was bouncing.
>
> Here are the addresses currently on Bounces @
 nic .
 state .
 mn .
 us
> so that you can see which of your addresses is among them.
> The comment for each address shows the date it was moved,
> and the first list it was removed from.  If you were on
> multiple lists here, you may have been removed from them
> as well, but only the first list you were removed from
> will show up in the comment below.
>

> If the problem has been fixed, you can get off of
> Bounces and back on to the other list by sending the
> following to Majordomo @
 nic .
 state .
 mn .
 us:

>     subscribe your_list
>     unsubscribe bounces
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe an address other than where you're
> sending the command from, append the other address to the end
> of the "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" command (for example,
> "subscribe your_list foo @
 bar .
 com").

> You'll need to access the mailing list archives if you want to catch
> up on whatever you missed while you were off the main list.
>
> If you don't want to keep getting these reminders every day, but
> don't want to resubscribe to the list, send just the "unsubscribe"
> command shown above.
>
> If you need to contact a human being regarding this, send a message
> to Majordomo-Owner @
 nic .
 state .
 mn .
 us .

From: "G. Holford" <holford @ VNET . IBM . COM>
Next: Unauthorized copying of posts
From: "Monee C. Kidd" <mkidd @ apk . net>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Preventing Mail Loops, Other