Subject: Re: Unauthorized copying of posts
From: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 11:54:50 -0300 (ADT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

mengwong @
 icg .
 pobox .
 com (Meng Weng Wong) writes:

>All works created after March 1989 (when the United States
>joined the Berne Convention) are, by default, copyrighted,
>even if you don't explicitly say so..

Aside from the fact that I don't think the US joining the Berne
Convention has any legal status outside the US, there is a great deal of
ambiguity in the situation regarding the copyrighting of posts.  For one
thing, who owns the copyright?  The poster or the list owner?  I know at
least one list owner who claims copyright over material appearing on his
lists no matter what the posters say.

While I sympathize with anyone who feels that their material is being
used improperly after being posted, there seems to be a practice of fair
usage developing that is similar to the use of printed material in
academic and scientific circles.  So long as material is honestly and
fully attributed, I don't think that many people see a problem.

The Internet is a fantastic medium for communication.  Material tends to
spread, and for the most part that is good.  Plagiarism is always a
problem, but that is really more a matter of fraud than of copyright.
If people don't want their material publicly disseminated, they should
avoid posting it to the Internet.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Section, Habitat Science Division
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, P. O. Box 1006

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Unauthorized copying of posts