Subject: Re: errors generating Mime messages
From: Bob Snyder <rsnyder @ janet . advsys . com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 07:07:51 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

ggf @
 jsoft .
 com said:
> I just got done hacking on several Mime messages.  I had two problems.

> One was that a system was sending error messages about mail to a user
> they removed.  They had been generating error messages for 6 days
> before I got 188K of Mime messages that I could not read.

> Where do errors from Postmaster go? Is the Errors-to: header ignored?
> Do errors go to the From address?

Newer sendmails use the SMTP From Envelope header and ignore errors-to:
(unless explicitly configured otherwise), which is the "correct" behavior, as
errors-to was a sendmailism.  If sendmail was generating MIME errors, it was a
newer sendmail. :-) Note this isn't the From: header from the mail.  It'll
likely show up as Return-path: in received mail.

Why couldn't you read the MIME messages?

Bob

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Unauthorized copying of posts