Subject: Re: Problems with AOL receiving list mail?
From: Bob Snyder <rsnyder @ janet . advsys . com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 07:08:38 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

meo @
 schoneal .
 com said:
> Am I the only one who thinks it's braindead that some (all?)
> sendmails now ship with the default for bounces being mime - even
> when the original wasn't mime?  Talk about rewrite screwups!

The message isn't rewritten.  It's being encased in MIME, so that an
intelligent mailer can pull the message unaltered from the body of the bounce.

The MIME overhead isn't that bad for non-MIME readers.  And it makes the
message much nicer to deal with under MIME mail readers.  The time where you
really hit problems is when you have a MIME reading partially configured (ie,
elm configured for MIME without metamail installed.)

If you dislike MIME bounces now, you are probably going to really dislike them
once 8.7 gets widely deployed.  It uses the IETF Notifications and
Acknowledgements Requirements working group's recommendations for bounce
messages (and for receipt notification, Return-Receipt-To: is gone), which
includes a machine parsable error section.  It's a more complex bounce
message, but now it's one that can be used easily for automated handling of
bounces.

(Actually, under Sendmail 8.7, currently in late beta, by default it will
encode 8-bit characters on the fly.  But if you are sending around 8-bit
characters without marking them as such, you have worse reliability problems
to deal with.)

IETF Notifications and Acknowledgements Requirements:
http://info.internet.isi.edu/R219108-222467-1m/in-drafts/id-abstracts.html

Sendmail 8.7 beta:
ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/ucb/sendmail/.prerelease

Bob

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: errors generating Mime messages