From: Ping Huang <pshuang @ MIT . EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 22:25:57 EDT
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 > Some even take it so far as to refuse to unsubscribe people who
 > mail to the list *until* they mail to list-request.  (I happen to
 > share this view; don't reward bad behavior.)

In the vein of the parenthetical remark above, I've been working with
someone who is setting up a new home for some of the mailing lists I
maintain.  The list server software can easily be set up to check for
and filter out messages sent to the mailing list address which looks
like subscribe and unsubscribe requests.  The person initially
suggested simply processing those commands; however, I requested
instead that such administrative request messages to the list address
not be automatically fulfilled, but instead produce the same result as
if a "help" request had been sent to the correct administrative
address (in this case, a -request address).

I didn't want to encourage the behavior of sending subscribe and
unsubscribe messages to the mailing list itself in any fashion
whatsoever, even if in this particular case it would not have been
redistributed to other subscribers.

--
Ping Huang <pshuang @
 mit .

Indexed By Date Previous: Addison Snell & the Continua Spam