Subject: Re: Unauthorized copying of posts
From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 09:19:52 -0500 (CDT)
To: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Bill Silvert said...
|There is a big difference in that the newspaper is only copied by the
|publisher, and there is no authorization for anyone else to make copies.
|When an item is posted to UseNet it is clearly understood that it can be
|copied from any system to any system that requests that newsgroup.

Yes, but I think a reasonable person would expect
that this means the copying is by news protocols,
with distribution limited to news groups.  Some
might think this extends to email to those who
might not have news access.  Most would likely
agree that printing a copy to include in a book
for sale would not be a reasonable extension.

IMO.

-Miles