Subject: Re: Unauthorized copying of posts
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian @ hyperreal . com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 11:21:41 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jay Gary <jgary @ rmii . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Jay Gary wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > Well, there's an interesting twist - since NNTP is a system where
> > unlimited copying is how things work, by posting to usenet you implicitly
> > are saying "this thing can be copied everywhere".
>
> It sounds good at first, but by this logic, we would say that because a
> newspaper is copied 100,000 times and distributed to your door
> step, it will give others the right to copy it and distribute it. NOT.

What's crucial is who is doing the copying.  In the NNTP case, it's
"anyone".  In the newspaper case, it's clearly the newspaper.  Your
analogy would hold if, when I made a post to usenet, my machine actually
copied the message 5000 times and sent it to 5000 different NNTP hosts,
who didn't forward it beyond that, but that's not how it works.  I send
it to one NNTP server, who copies and sends it to one or more other NNTP
servers, and eventually it's ubiquitous.

	Brian