Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: philosophy: linked vs. autonomous list servers
From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 12:08:17 -0700 (MST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (lm)

> We started to switch our majordomo list to this config.  It already
> requires subscription approval, but tying senders to users wouldn't
> work, because many of the members post from multiple accounts, or at
> least multiple systems within domains that don't hide system names.

If you turn on domain-munging under majordomo, someone who's subscribed at
foo @
 bar .
 com can post from foo@<anything>.bar.com.

> (some ISPs give dialup SLIP/PPP customers a system name based on the
> line they dial in on, as in slip142.isp.com).

Uh, you mean, like, outgoing mail has a different "From" address every
time they connect?  Sounds kind of broken to me...

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: How do you handle bouncing messages