Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: How do you handle bouncing messages
From: srb @ cuci . nl (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 03:10:55 +0100
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Warning, carefully disguised plug for SmartList ahead :-).

Keith Moore <moore @
 cs .
 utk .
 edu> wrote:
>How I handle bounced mail:
>2. "temporary" bounces of the form "mail delivery didn't succeed within
>   X amount of time but we're still trying" get recognized by filters
>   and deleted before I ever see them.

SmartList has this filter built-in.

>3. other bounces: from time to time I clean out my "bounces" folder
>   as follows:

>   a. if the mail bounced because of "user unknown", "host unknown",
>   or some other reason that looks like the user is really gone, I:
>   delete the user from the list, and send a message to the bounced
>   address saying "you've been deleted because your mail bounced",
>   including a copy of the bounced message.  In a surprising number

This is exactly what SmartList does automatically for you.

>   b. if the mail bounced because of "local configuration error",
>   a forwarding loop, or something that looks like the user might
>   still exist but their mail system is messed up, I send a warning
>   message to that address and the user's postmaster and sometimes
>   also to the DNS administrator for the recipient's domain or the
>   technical contact person for that domain.

Alas, SmartList follows the same procedure here as for 3a.
--
Sincerely,                                                          srb @
 cuci .

The eleventh commandment: Thou shalt not re-curse!