Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: How do you handle bouncing messages
From: arielle @ taronga . com (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 18:45:04 -0600 (CST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> I have been surprised to see so many delivery problems.

Sounds about par.  One of my lists fluctuates in volume and when it goes
high, I can get 150-200 bounce notices a day (this list only has about
190 subscribers on it).

> This is a new list so it's important to me that everyone has a good
> impression and no one remove themself because they find they are
> losing mail.  I'm reluctant to move people to the bounces list as
> soon as there's a problem and was wondering how other folks typically
> handle this - do you move people at the first sign of problems?

I kick their lazy asses off the list...  Oh, sorry, I shouldn't watch
Fresh Prince of Bellaire before reading mail.

Ahem.

On my new list, if they bounce, they're off.  On my other list, it depends
on the kind of bounce, how long the user has been a member, and how much
bounced mail I'm getting back overall.

If the list is important to the user, they will find their way back on.

> Do you notify the users that there have been problems?

How do you notify someone whose mail is bouncing?

> BTW, here's my favorite of all the problems I've seen:

Mine was the one where I was informed some user wasn't a typewriter....

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: How do you handle bouncing messages