Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Enough is enough
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ graphics . cornell . edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 95 11:07:19 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>Is anyone besides me getting more than their fill of these "here is
>a spam I got" type of messages out of this list?
>[...]
>
>So, could we call a moratorium on this subject?

Personally I appreciate early notification of spams-in-progress that
I receive through this list.  I have added a trap section to my list
script where I can add identifying characteristics of known spams
(typically From: or Subject: header regexps) so they will be trapped
if they occur.  Spam notifications posted on this list *have* saved
my lists from some spams already.  (Also, the newsfeed-gateway-delay
script I posted here recently trapped it's first spam last weekend.)

I vote that we continue to post *early-warnings* here.  Note: "This
one hit my list last week while I was on vacation" is less than
interesting.  Particularly useful, I think, are Stephanie's early-
warning-detector hits from people running the PAML.

IMO, this list is low-enough traffic that spam warnings are not
burying anything.

-Mitch