Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Response from ixc.net (magazine spam)
From: Wes Morgan <morgan @ engr . uky . edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 13:25:11 -0500
To: spam-l @ eva . dc . lsoft . com
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

As you may remember, ixc.net was implicated as a source of the infamous
magazine spam.  I received the attached note today, in response to an
inquiry I dispatched last week.

As the ixc.net contact suggests, I'll be sending a note to the relevant
USPS postmaster; you may wish to do the same, since ixc.net was kind
enough to provide the real-world contact address for this scam.

--Wes

>From: Kathryn Kelly <kkelly @
 ixc .
 ixc .
 net>
>Subject: Spamming complaint
>To: morgan @
 engr .
 uky .
 edu

>Dear Mr. Morgan:
>
>We regret that you received electronic mail of an inappropriate nature
>from our site, ixc.net, about magazine subscriptions.
>
>This was out of our control as we provide free internet accounts to
>those who need them.
>
>We have turned off our program to allow automatic creation of new accounts.
>We now check each user's phone number and are not opening multiple accounts
>for the same individual.
>
>We wish you to do something for us.
>We have the address where the individual sending out this
>material receives his physical mail.
>Please send a letter of complaint to the postmaster at
>   Postmaster
>   Staten Island NY 10312
>Regarding the person at this address:
>   Magazine Club Inquiry Center
>   Att. Internet Services Department
>   P. O. Box 120990
>   Staten Island NY 10312 0990

Indexed By Date Previous: Wrapper - Permission Denied