Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Are You Preapred?
From: Ken Mayer <kmayer @ mrj . com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 15:42:28 -0500 (EST)
To: Jason and Jill <jgreshes @ netaxs . com>
Cc: list-managers-digest @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, 11 Nov 1995, Jason and Jill wrote:
> Anyone else think its about time the lists command was chucked
> altogether?  It doesn't serve much of a purpose--all you get is a list of
> the listnames at a certain host, few listowners put in the one-line info
> about the purpose of the list, so what good is the command to anyone
> besides spammers putting together their distribution list.

I use lists. I find it useful for my "customers." I'm also pretty diligent
about tweaking the advertise regexps so company lists aren't published to
the outside world.  I do make who's private by default on my system too.

It should be fairly easy to add a "shunning" feature to resend, it's
pretty close to the $opt_I code. Addresses that match regular expressions
in a config file get dropped, or the sender gets a bounce message "Your
address has been used for spamming, we will no longer distribute mail from
this address. If you feel that there has been an error, contact
majordomo-owner @
 site .
 org .
 dom .
 "

Ken Mayer
                                         In dwelling, live close to the ground.
MRJ,  Inc.                               In thinking, keep to the simple.
10560 Arrowhead Drive                    In conflict, be fair and generous.
Fairfax, Virginia 22030-7305             In governing, don't try to control.
kmayer @
 mrj .
 com                           In work, do what you enjoy.
(703) 277-1722 / 385-4637 fax            In family life, be completely present.
finger kmayer @
 mrj .
 com for PGP public key                        -- Tao Te Ching