Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: "list" command and blocking spams
From: Jason and Jill <jgreshes @ netaxs . com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 11:06:00 -0500 (EST)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> >It should be fairly easy to add a "shunning" feature to resend, it's
> >pretty close to the $opt_I code. Addresses that match regular expressions
> >in a config file get dropped, or the sender gets a bounce message "Your
> >address has been used for spamming, we will no longer distribute mail from
> >this address. If you feel that there has been an error, contact
> >majordomo-owner @
 site .
 org .
 dom .
 "

> The problem I see with this aproach is that it won't work. You'll have to
> allow an address to spew once before you can add it to your regexp list.
> Kinda defeats the purpose of it, no?

Yes, this really would only be good against spammers who either are
posting from a system they own, or from a system that doesn't do anything
about spammers.  It wouldn't do a damned thing to stop things like the
recent primenet spam.  We have to do things to make spamming more
difficult, instead of just worrying about the cleanup.

					Jason

From: Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <info-labview-request @ pica . army . mil>
Next: Bulk Forged Subscriptions
From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: "list" command and blocking spams
From: Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <info-labview-request @ pica . army . mil>
Next: Re: "list" command and blocking spams
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ graphics . cornell . edu>